Friday, April 14, 2023

A Slanted Ceiling Saga

Hello! It's certainly been a long time since I last posted, but I have managed to do some work on Marybelle's room. Before I started to wallpaper, I had to remove the old wallpaper that I had glued on before.
After I had removeed most of the wallpaper, I glued in a piece of wood that would add a slant to the ceiling to make it more attic-like. When I had originally envisioned the room and created it a few years ago, I had wanted it to have a slanted ceiling, but that idea never came into fruition. Well, here it is now!
It looked just as I'd imagined it.
Above is an image of where the built-in bookcase will live, under the slanted ceiling.
I had wanted to put wallpaper on the new ceiling, but I realized it would then be a wall, and not a ceiling, so I decided to glue coffee stirrers to it instead so it would be more attic-like. According to the story I've made for the house, this room is part of the oldest wing of the house, built in the 16th century, but remodeled in the 1840s (and in case you are wondering, in the above photo, the roombox is turned upside down which is why it looks as though the ceiling is actually the floor).
I finished half of the ceiling and contemplated about what color paint I should use to paint it with. I settled on antique white, and after I painted a test piece of wood, I painted the whole ceiling with it.
It looked just how I had envisioned it!
For the ceiling lamp, as it is an old part of the house, I wanted to have a metal fixture that looked as though it had been painted over many times. I found a button and took off the top of it so it left a shiny, gold embellishment and painted it the same color of the ceiling. I hope to report to you soon with more exciting news (as this was a rather dull post, I'm afraid) about Marybelle's room with photos of the furniture I shall place in the room!

2 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful, Julia! A great idea to add character to the architecture. The details on the fixture are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate your encouragement!
Currently, to prevent spam, all of your comments are sent to me first. I will be as quick as I can to post them and reply. Thanks for your patience!
Julia