Saturday, March 4, 2023

Contemplating A Layout

Hello everybody! I hope you are doing well. I hadn't really touched Marybelle's room since I removed the wallpaper almost a week ago, but today I worked out a rough layout of Marybelle's Room which I am excited to show you.
The bed, the bookcase, and the door are all stand-ins until I make the permanent ones.
I'm planning on building something exciting above the chest - I will reveal what in a later post!
This is the other side of the room. I'm planning on making another bed that's not pink, but the bedside table is permanent.
This is what the room looks like through the window. It looks a lot like a study, I think, from this view. I will replace the bookcase with one filled with (hopefully readable) miniature children's books from the 1920s (I may have forgotten to mention that this room is based off of children's rooms from the 1920s and 30s, even though the book I am using as inspiration for the room was published in 1945).
I am not certain on where I want to hinge the door. I can't decide if it should swing out towards the bedside table or the bookcase. If you have any suggestions, please let me know in the comments!
This image is at a bit of a slant so you can see the chest. It isn't quite finished as it doesn't have a bottom yet, and I am planning on adding little wheels to the bottom so it can roll around, but I'll have to see. The drawers don't open, unfortunately. I'm afraid this post was a bit picture-heavy, but hopefully I'll be back next week with more updates!

2 comments:

  1. The room looks a good size for a bedroom and I think your layout will allow the viewer to appreciate all the details! I love it when a plan materializes and you have a clear direction to go in. As to the door swing direction, I prefer a door that swings toward a wall and opens into a room. That seems to make it easier to move furniture in and out. That said, the best thing about dollhouses is that you get to do whatever YOU like! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jodi,
      Thank you for commenting! I agree with you about a door swing towards the wall, thank you for your input in that! I am also considering making a false door, as sawing out a space for the door in the solid birch boxes generally takes quite a long time. . . It took me a while to come up with a layout that works, so I'm thrilled I finally have one!
      Thank you and have a lovely day!
      Julia

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate your encouragement!
Currently, to prevent spam, all of your comments are sent to me first. I will be as quick as I can to post them and reply. Thanks for your patience!
Julia