Sunday, February 26, 2023

I've Gone And Done It Again. . .

That's right - I started a new room, even when I was so close to being done with the Trunk Room! The room that I started to renovate this time is the room I formerly called Becky's room. It was the first room I ever wallpapered way back when I began miniature making, and I always had a plan to redo it, but (perhaps out of fear) hadn't touched anything in it.
Unfortunately, the only photo of it I could find has terrible lighting, but it gives you a general idea. I have been making plans for a few weeks for what the room will be, and I thought I would share them with you. When I was around eight or nine, I was obsessed with the Famous Five series by Enid Blyton, and I was always imagining myself as one of the characters. My favorite of the Famous Five series was Five Go To Smuggler's Top, partly because of the description of the castle that the Famous Five was staying at. I used to imagine I'd have an enourmous dollhouse that was exactly like the castle in the book, so to satisfy these childhood dreams, I decided that I'd base this room after the castle in the Famous Five series. T he occupant of the room will be called Marybelle (who is one of the characters the Famous Five meets in the book), who is around ten years old. To start with the renovation, I pulled out all the wallpaper, leaving bare white walls. It was an easier job than I expected because I hadn't applied enough glue to the walls.
Now, for the 'before' images.
The East Wall (you'll have to excuse the pink tint to the photograph, my camera doesn't photograph white very well).
The South Wall (the red on the white walls is not because of the camera, but is just some red marker (?) that stained the roombox.
The North Wall.
The floor.
And lastly, the ceiling. I am very excited to see where this project takes me, and I hope you'll enjoy following along too!

4 comments:

  1. You're off to a good start. I am not familiar with the childhood books you mentioned. My favourite as a child were, of course, The Borrowers. I also loved the animal books by Thorton W. Burgess: The adventures of Sammy Jay, squirrel, toad, etc. It's so nice to b able to draw from these when imagining a new miniature project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marilyn,
      Thank you very much for your lovely comment! I also loved The Borrowers, and the Thorton Burgess books, too! And I could not agree more; books are wonderful for finding inspiration in!
      Julia

      Delete
  2. There is no better feeling than feeling inspired and excited to work on a specific room! I'm glad you felt that you could seize on that and not be a slave to the "shoulds"! Have fun with it - I am excited to see the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jodi,
      Thank you so much for your comment! I can't wait to see where this transformation takes me, and I hope you'll enjoy watching the progress as much as I enjoy working on the room!
      Julia

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate your encouragement!
Currently, to prevent spam, all of your comments are sent to me first. I will be as quick as I can to post them and reply. Thanks for your patience!
Julia