Thursday, December 15, 2022

Mr. Messenger's Study and His Swivel Chair

I have began to work on a new room, based off one of my favorite books as a very young child, Annabel's House, by Norman Messenger. It is a book with drawings of an Edwardian house with lots of flaps that you can pull to reveal things inside the cupboards, etc. One of my favorite rooms in the book is most likely the study, and I am basing a room in my dollhouse after it. I am a visual person, so I wrote on scraps of papers and arranged them around the room until I found an arrangment I liked.
The room posing as the study is actually going to be the kitchen, and the study will probably be either on the third or fourth floor. I got to work making the swivel chair for the desk. It's a bit tippy, but it stands upright in the kitchen. I had to prop it up in Anthea's Room - I think her floor might be a bit uneven in places. It's an old house, after all! I don't quite know what I based the chair after - I did hunt for a bit of inspiration on Google, searching for '1930s swivel desk chairs', and based it a bit off of those. While it doesn't swivel, I'm still happy with it.
For the rest of the room, I'm going to also make a plant, a woven wastebasket (which might prove problematic, I'm no weaver), a large, old-fashioned bookcase (ditto for the previous sentiment), a coal storage bin, an armchair, a small table, and a fireplace. Also, I'm planning on calling this room Mr. Messenger's Study. Yes, a bit of a tribute to him :-). It's certainly going to be an adventure, and I hope you're excited for the ride along with me! I also think that I found the perfect wallpaper, so stay tuned for an update!
I'm planning on posting before the holidays, but if I don't, happy holidays to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate your encouragement!
Currently, to prevent spam, all of your comments are sent to me first. I will be as quick as I can to post them and reply. Thanks for your patience!
Julia