Friday, September 23, 2022

George's Room is Coming Along! (Very Slowly)

From my last post, you can see that I wanted to add depth to my dollhouse, but to do that I need four more IKEA drawers. Luckily, my birthday is coming up, so I might just pop that onto my wishlist! In other news, I have been really slowly working on George's Room. Currently he's sleeping in the bathtub, poor kid. I did have some problems with the fireplace - I wish he'd decided he wanted a radiator instead, but George insisted it had to be a fireplace, so I had no choice in the matter. The reason I was having so many troubles with the fireplace was so that the fireplace could fit into the little nook, the walls of the fireplace had to be reasonably low, creating a gab where you could see the wood of the dollhouse through. Of course, this wouldn't do, so I had to compromise and make a sort of grate-y thing. It took me an hour or so to ensure the fit (who knew painting three coffee stirrers could be so tiresome?), which makes me even more amazed that people actually managed to do this in their real-life homes. They must be born with superpowers! I really wish I'd just waited on the parquet floor until some coffee stirrers came my way, but I didn't, so now I'm stuck cutting up tiny pieces of wood. Very, very fiddly, especially when you get to the edges and have to cut a tiny piece of wood even tinier, and it splits in half. Ugh! Luckily, the little grate-y thing that I made fixed the fireplace, so now I just have to insert the wires through a tiny, tiny hole, and glue in the fireplace. Which, I'll frankly admit, I'm scared to do. I really don't want to glue it in wrong! Luckily, the floor is more than halfway finished.
It's come a long way from this:
I could probably finish it this afternoon, if I worked up the enthusiam. Also, I made an Art Deco (sort of) fireplacae fender.
You probably can't really see it very well in the photo, but it's there. The shiny metal sheet is from this dollhouse kit I had, and I cut it up to cover the wood that formed the fender, and glued it. Imagine my surprise when, as I was working on the finishing touches of it, I discovered that the shiny metal sheet was a sticker! How did I not realize that before?? It would have saved me a lot of time! Also, I got a very large stash of coffee stirrers which I was using to finish the very messy edges in my dollhouse. For example, in the attic:
After I added the finishing edges:
Much better, don't you think? I will be back soon with more news on George's Room! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate your encouragement!
Currently, to prevent spam, all of your comments are sent to me first. I will be as quick as I can to post them and reply. Thanks for your patience!
Julia