Monday, September 5, 2022

It started in the Middle Ages. . .

I decided that because my dollhouse was set in the 1930s, I could have at least one 'modern' room! It all started with the Middle Ages. Well, not exactly. It really all started when I had two awkward window spaces in my dollhouse.
Ignore the wallpaper, that was a spur-of-the moment idea I regret. I did have two window frames that would fit, but the only problem was: they had no mullions. I guess I could have made my own but I was lazy busy! :-) So, I decided to make my own 'mullions', drawing inspiration from the diamond lead panes in the Middle Ages. Well, it sounded great in my head, but. . . in reality. . . it was awful!
See? I didn't even bother to make the lines straight, and well - it looks exactly like it was drawn with Sharpie (which it was!) If you aren't convinced on how awful it looks - let me explain. The image above is what it will look like on the exterior, but as for the interior - you could see where I had drawn the lines!
See how terrible that is?
From the inside. Yuck!!!! Well, needless to say, I couldn't live with it - but I gave uphad run out of ideas, so I put that on hold for the time being. Then, one day - out of the blue, an idea struck! Although, clearly, the mini people who lived in my dollhouse hadn't bothered to update their house since the Victorian times, the little boy who was going to inhabit the room in my dollhouse wouldn't stand for it! So, he managed to convince his parents to redo his room. Now, with the story in place, my next task was: where should his room be? A long, long time ago, I had the brilliant terrible plan to have the Library in my dollhouse on the second floor. Don't even ask my why. So I cut, or rather, my father cut (he's good at saws, I am not), a whole for the window, using, as a template, the terrible medieval diamond windows I have shown you previously. Here is how it looked like, after I ripped out the paper ceiling I had inserted in another spur-of-the moment idea. The red bulb hanging from the ceiling was me attempting to add light(and failing!).
Well, it's a bit icky, isn't it? Never fear - a new ceiling is here! (I don't have photos of it, because I forgot, but I promise I'll attach one pretty soon!) Well, I decided to have the Library in one of the massive, grand rooms downstairs, and to use this as the boy's room. (Besides, it looks out to the Servant's entrance - not a particularly beautiful place!
Apparently they haven't cleaned it up since 1899! Well, after I figured out where the Boy's room was going to be, I had to redo the window. After all, it all started with the terrible window - I could never leave it like that! So, I ripped out the plastic with the diamond panes, and inserted beautiful, clear glass!
Aaaaaaaaaah!!! How sweet! What do you think of the stained glass? I just had to insert it! Of course, on the downside, the stained glass doesn't look that great from the interior - but that can be fixed very easily, and I have a genius idea for doing so!
The not so very pretty view of the window from the other side. Well, all my window problems are (almost!) gone - pooof! So, I printed out a beautiful Bradbury and Bradbury 1930s wallpaper sample - and I liked it!
Calming, isn't it? Wallpaper and windows are gone - but I wanted a fireplace! After endless searching on the web, I found an idea that might do - and I created a mini version.
What do you think? Soooooooooooooo 1930s, right? Well, I liked it! So now I will (sort of) show you how I made it! It was all basically constructed from a Cork Board and wood, and glued with paper tiles I made.
Here's the back. Yes, I know, rather ugly, but hey? Nobody's going to see it!
All of the tiles were cut from a piece of thick wide cardstock I painted with a beautiful green!
The grout lines are basically just the wood showing in between the tiles. Well, that's the fireplace, folks! If you made it this far - congratulations! Just a couple more things! (Sorry!) Here's the bed I made for the boys room. Tidy, yes, but maybe they have a maid?!?
I love the green - this room will be very green, and because the boy (whose name is George, by the way!), loves airplanes - it will also be airplane-themed! Thank you for reading! Coming soon:
The beginning of the bathroom saga! And - the Egyptian Bedroom is finished!
The entire room - I like it!
A detail! Rumor has it Jean Harlow and Katharine Hepburn stayed here! :-)
The chandelier! It works - but - ugh!!!!!! I accidentally detached some wires - going to fix that ASAP! And - I'll sign off with a picture of the little rascal that's playing with a big red ball in the Servant's Room!
Farewell!

8 comments:

  1. I love the details on that green bed. And my favorite part is the hinge on the door. Nice attention to detail 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting! I'm glad you noticed the hinge on the door, it's one of my favorite parts too!

      Delete
  2. I can’t wait to see the airplane decorations! (Don’t tell Gareth I said that 😆) and I loooooove the Egyptian room ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! Yes, Gareth will love the airplanes! Do you know if he has any photos of the airplanes he made when he was a kid? He's forever telling me about them :-)

      Delete
  3. Love the green & the dog in there. Great work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the green & love the dog , of course. Good design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trish! I think Teddy will approve of the dog :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate your encouragement!
Currently, to prevent spam, all of your comments are sent to me first. I will be as quick as I can to post them and reply. Thanks for your patience!
Julia